Fitness is a term broadly used by every individual of different age group .it stands as a state of body and mind to be healthy and day to day activities with jeal.It encompasses various components and is modified according to the individual needs and specificity.
- Strength-the extent to which Muscle can exert force by contracting against resistance(eg.holding or restraining an object)
- Power – the ability to exert maximum muscular contraction instantly in an explosive burst of movements. The two components of power are strength and speed (eg: jumping or asprint)
- Agility- the ability to perform a series of explosive power movements in rapid succession in opposite direction (eg: zigzag running)
- Balance- the ability to control the body’s position, either stationary (eg: a hand stand) or while moving (eg gymnastic stunt).
- Flexibility-the ability to achieve an extended range of motion without being impeded by excessive tissue i.e. fat and muscles (eg: exercising a leg split).
- Local muscle endurance- a single muscle ability to perform sustained work (eg : rowing or cycling)
- Cardiovascular endurance-the hearts ability to deliver blood to working muscles and their ability to use it.(eg: running long distance)
- Strength endurance- a muscle ability to perform a maximum contraction time after time.(eg:continuous explosive rebounding through an entire basket ball game)
- Coordination- the ability to integrate the above listed components so that effective movement is achieved.
Benefits of being physically fit:
- Lower risk of stroke,diabetes,cancer
- Lowers risk of osteoarthritis, falls
- Lowers risk of depression, dementia
Physical fitness Performa:
Active lifestyle and at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic activity such as cycling or fast walking every week and muscle strengthening activities of 2 or more days a week that works on all major muscle groups (legs,hips,back,abdomen,chest,shoulders,arms)
It aims at improving your fitness level by developing your balance, coordination, flexibility,strength and endurance. to achieve this, we do need to exercise outside of our comfort zone otherwise all we do is maintain our current level of fitness. If you can hold a conversation with someone whilst walking or jogging, then you are not outside your comfort zone and all you will achieve is burn few calories
A Physiotherapist keeps in mind the pre-requisite of every individuals need and forms a patient specific Performa for them to make them leave a healthy life.